Saturday, September 3, 2011

Salsa



I wanted salsa so I decided I had most of the ingredients I needed so I would make it. I was happy with how it turned out and it was even better the second and third day. I diced tomatoes, red onion, green pepper, minced garlic, pineapple[used canned] and then added cumin, cilantro, lots of fresh cracked pepper, salt and a splash of vinegar.

I think next time I will use more tomato and lemon or lime juice instead of vinegar.

I also made Spanish rice in the rice cooker. I copied what they had in the ingredients on the back of the box of 'Spanish rice mix' for the ingredients.

1 cup of white rice, picked over, rinsed and drained in the rice cooker pot.

I took a 4 cup liquid measure and put in 1 tablespoon of each red onion, green pepper and tomato paste[we felt it was too much so next time I will use half the tomato paste]. Finely chop those onions and peppers. Add enough chicken broth to bring the liquid up to 1 2\3 cup.

20 cranks of fresh ground black pepper

1\2 tsp dried cilantro

1\4 tsp ground cumin

I would salt the water well if you don't use chicken broth but I didn't use salt as the chicken broth is salty on it's own.

1 cup of rice cooks perfectly in 1 3\4 cups liquid. I figure the rice will hold on to some water from being rinsed and some liquid from the tomato paste, veggies etc.

Add liquid to rice and stir. Put in rice cooker and set to cook. It will pop up when it's done.



I was very happy with the rice. My husband has seconds and usually he's not a rice fan and even my son ate it.I also might try it with brown rice once I can figure out how to cook brown rice in the rice cooker.


No comments:

Post a Comment