Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Being normal


I usually hate the word normal. I was never normal growing up. I was too tall, too skinny, didn't like what the other kids liked. I wanted Star Trek toys for Christmas and didn't get them because I was a girl. My parents claimed I would grow out of my whole Star Trek thing. Then I met a guy debating Star Trek and we several years and hundreds of Trek debates later named our daughter after a Star Trek character. My husband and I were not normal. We were weird, nerds, geeks, losers.

Yet it breaks a mother's heart when you realize that the other kids don't see your child as normal. One boy tells my son he's allergic to him. My son is a strong advocate for himself at school. I am so amazed how he asks if there is soy. Yet when he tells me this other boy doesn't like him and says he's allergic to him. It breaks my heart. Just a whole big bunch. He's a sweet, amazingly smart, funny even if slightly annoying sometimes kid.

I know not everyone can like my kid. Not everyone likes me. That's life. Still. I won't admit to wanting to smack this kid I don't know. How dare you not like my baby. He's awesome.

What is awesome is my son says it's okay because he's got his friends and he names the friends he has who like him. That warms my heart.

Back to what made me think normal today.

My two year old is stilling on the floor in the front room happily enjoying a bag of animal crackers. What is more normal than that? Owls. Penguins. Elephants. She's making the animal noises and eating away. I find a bunny and tell her he's going to get into mischief. She smiles and eats him. Yep. Just like Mr. Rabbit who ended up in a pie. <3

5 comments:

  1. "Normal" is boring. Praying for your mama heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that's so hard when our kids have a struggle of any kind. But your son has such a great attitude about it! And the last bit about your dd about made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How hard it must be to watch your children struggle. Makes me think about what my mother must have gone through. I was never normal! Always had my nose in a book and really didn't even try to fit in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, normal is boring. Your son has a wonderful attitude. I understand your momma heart though. My youngest is what I like to call quirky. He doesn't always enjoy what other little 8 y.o. boys enjoy. He doesn't like the stories or books they do. However, he's perfect in our family. He can tell you about every Dr. Who from the beginning! He's watched every single episode. What was the first thing he wanted to learn to spell and read? Dr. Who and Tardis! Um, yeah, we're geeks and nerds here too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, normal is totally overrated anyway. :) Sounds like your little guy has an awesome attitude and is handling rude kids really well!! Oh, and your sweet little DD sounds like such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete