Sunday, October 23, 2011

In the kitchen


One of the benefits of having a family with allergies is having to learn to cook and bake from scratch. I cannot pick up most take out or use a box of something as easily as other families. Most packaged products have soy or dairy or worse do not declare they package in the same factory as a product with an allergen - like peanuts or eggs.

This morning I put chicken in the crock pot with a little water, onions, garlic, pepper and salt. I'll have 1 piece for dinner and the other 2 will become chicken salad tomorrow. I made the boys a meat loaf - DH loves it and I have finally perfected my recipe. I cannot use store bought bread crumbs as they all have soy now so I crush up plain crackers. Sometimes I use bread crumbled up but it's 5 days until pay day and I didn't want to waste the bread.

Some meals are more expensive than others - recipes that call for safflower or coconut oil etc so I have to know where to be cheap. Surprisingly enough I have found a lot of off brand products are better about not having soy protein this or modified food protein that or milk, egg etc in a product that doesn't need it. When did bread need milk or eggs? Know how hard it is to find a store bought bread without soy, dairy, egg, oats or issues with coming into contact with nuts...yeah

I am thinking of investing in a bread machine.

I said this is a benefit because I am getting my family back to real food. Back to basics. Fruit, vegetables, meat, grains the only things really that sounds like a science experiment is the formula and we're glad for it. My husband complains but he gladly eats rice, more veggies and drinks water everyday. That is a huge step when I married him he ate four vegetables regular canned peas, corn, green beans and potatoes most of those came in instant flakes. Not that canned veggies or instant potatoes don't have their place but a baked potato is really awesome isn't it? If you can't do dairy try olive oil, garlic, pepper and salt and dill better yet if the dill is fresh. AMAZING.

3 comments:

  1. We are trying to eat well again; we have really gotten into some bad habits recently. I do love our bread machine, for whatever that's worth. :)

    (I'm hopping over from CMF and I'll be following you. And maybe making banana bread today. YUM!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love my bread machine and need to get it out. It really needs to be used a lot more. Noah is allergic to soy and I've been really bad about not following through with him not eating it. I justify to myself that it's not a severe allergy (even though I know that food allergies can become severe in an instant). That's something I'm having to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I want to come eat at your house!!

    You are so right - it's such a challenge to balance nutritious foods with a budget! Way to go on all of the great progress you are making. :)

    ReplyDelete