Sunday, October 16, 2011

Banana Bread

I had 2 bananas way past their prime so while dinner was in the oven I whipped up this banana bread to go in the crock pot. I recently got a 6 quart slow cooker so I can now bake my quick breads in a loaf cans I have instead of round baking dishes. The apple and pear puree replaces the egg and milk found in most typically recipes.

2 very ripe bananas mashed
4oz stage 2 pureed pears
4oz unsweetened apple sauce
1\4 cup oil [I used safflower]
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1\2 cup brown sugar
1\2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1\4 teaspoon salt

Mix wet and dry separately. Mix together. Don't worry about lumps. Pour into greased baking dish. You can bake in a crock pot by placing on an overturned bowl. Add some water [1\2inch to the bottom of the crock. Pop on the lid and bake on high for 3-3.5 hours. You'll know it's done same way you tell if it's done from the oven. Your whole house will smell like banana bread, a cake tester or tooth pick will come out clean from the middle. You can also bake in the oven at 350 for about an hour check it and rotate it if your oven typically needs that when baking.

This is about an hour into baking - the batter has doubled. See how the baking dish is sitting on an overturned bowl. I added maybe 1\2 inch of water. It was gone by the time the bread was done 3 hours later.




This was the bread after about 3 hours give or take 10 minutes. It was perfect. It bounced back and pulled away from the sides perfectly.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I never would've thought to "bake" bread in the crock pot, this is going to be great to remember in the summer months next year.

    ReplyDelete