Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The stuff I've pinned - ASL alphabet video


A friend of mine was talking about blogging about doing, making or using the stuff we've pinned. People often joke that we [those of us who use Pinterest] pin stuff but never actually getting around to making that art project or trying that recipe. So I will blog about the stuff I have seen on Pinterest and done or Pinned because I wanted to share it.

I pinned this video a month ago. In that time my children, my son who's 5.5 and my daughter who's 30 months have watched it hundreds of times. My husband and I too sing the song because we've heard it so often. We're all signing the alphabet and working on new signs beyond the 'baby signs' we started with. We're looking up real American Sign Language and are amazed at the world this simple video has opened up.

The most amazing thing has happened. My barely verbal significantly delayed autistic child is signing almost the entire alphabet [ G, P and Q are really hard for little hands] and has begun saying it too! She now will say "A is for apple" because of this video. Sure it doesn't make up for the hours and hours I work with her or Daddy or her speech therapists but it makes learning a form of communication that clicks with her fun.

I have decided not to post pictures of my children [their faces anyway] on this blog and it doesn't matter - of course she won't sign her alphabet or talk when I have the video camera! Seriously mom...I'm not a performing monkey. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment