Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Pancakes


I found a recipe for vegan pancakes for the kids. While my son can have lactose free milk my daughter cannot have any dairy or eggs.I am trying to have more and more recipes everyone in the family can eat. Sometimes looking for vegan recipes can be frustrating as people simply replace dairy with soy or some other food which is also an allergen. Or these recipes are long and involve complicated things I can't find in a typical grocery store. Although this is easier as no one in our family is gluten or corn free.

I found this recipe from allrecipes.com:

  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon oil - plus extra to fry with if you need\want to.
It works well. They turn out nice and fluffy and even passed as 'normal' pancakes for my husband. However plain pancakes [my son does not do sauce - like maple syrup] can get boring so I tweaked the recipe.

Vanilla maple vegan pancakes

3\4 cup Whole Wheat flour
1\2 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups vanilla rice milk
1 tablespoon real maple syrup
1 tablespoon oil

Oil to fry with - I use coconut oil shortening while safflower oil in the batter.

I have made this recipe with cow's milk, water, rice milk without issue. I have also used canola, safflower or coconut oil without noticing a difference. So it seems an easy recipe to modify for allergies and switching things up. Mix and cook like typical pancakes - mix dry, then wet, mix together and cook in frying pan or griddle and I use a little oil or coconut shortening - helps to keep from sticking and with browning.

I am going to try adding blueberries and other fruit some time soon - we'll see how that turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment